Thursday, April 3, 2008

Shadowing a student

At the Tribune we are shadowing a Penn High School student for a "day in the life of.." feature to run in a few days. A sophomore named Aubrie Lane was picked (not sure exactly how) to be followed. For some reason the assignment to follow her was split into three separate assignments. This made the project very difficult as each photog had to reacquaint themselves with the subject. Why not just give one photog the assignment to follow her for an entire day?

I was assigned to follow Aubrie during her softball game today against Elkhart Memorial High School. She is a pitcher, but didn't start in today's game. Rather she came in during the fifth inning, with not very good results...

When I first met with her (about an hour before the game started) she was obviously tired of being followed by photogs all day. I was the third person to follow her that day. Not including the writer.

Despite this apparent frustration, she did seem to be quite candid with me. She seemed like the popular girl type. The kind that I would never had really talked to when I was in high school. She didn't really even talk to me now. Seemed like she had more important things to do, like loose the game for the team.

She came in during the 5th inning, with a healthy lead of 9 to 2. She let 4 runs go buy in less than 2 outs. Another pitcher took over but she couldn't fix the damage. By then end of the inning the team was now loosing 9 to 10. I had to leave after this frame because I had to make deadline for the actual game. Oh yeah did I say that already? I had been assigned to shoot action of the game AS WELL AS profile this one girl specifically. And when I arrived at the field the writer asked me if I was doing video. Jebus.

No comments: