Sunday, April 20, 2008

Notre Dame Blue and Gold Game

Yesterday was the Notre Dame Spring Football Game, also called the Blue and Gold Game. Even though it is technically not a real game (not even exhibition), I deceided to shoot it as though it was the real deal (as opposed to feature-heavy), because it was my first time in Notre Dame Stadium, and I wanted to put my new camera through some heavy working conditions.

Nikon D3 at 420mm, 800 ISO, f4 at 1/4000 of a sec

Much more images at my SportShooter page


The biggest difference between working at Notre Dame Stadium and back at Memorial Stadium at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is the number of photogs. At Illinois, there would be maybe 8 to 10 photogs at a normal non-conference game. Half of those being Daily Illini photogs. In a conference game, you may get upwards of 15. At yesterday's game there were at least 40 photographers on the field. Other staffers at the Tribune have told me that it can get as high as 50 photogs during the regular season. Evene when Notre Dame sucks (they were 3-9 last year). Most of these photogs aren't even getting paid to be there. They just go to shoot for themselves. Which should be fine. But the less experience a photog has, the more likely they will get in the way of people who are trying to work. It can be frustrating, but I just remind myself that it wasn't that long ago that I was in their shoes.

Nikon D3 at 420mm, 800 ISO, f4 at 1/3200 of a sec

I've tried to pay attention to anything Notre Dame football related in the paper so I know who the sports writers may want to feature later on. I tend to forget the defense in football. You can get really caught up just following the quarterback and the ball, and never even look at the guys going after him. If the position is important, then it's important to get images of the guy at that position. It may not be the most glamorous player, but it is still important.

Nikon D3 at 420mm, 800 ISO, f4 at 1/6400 of a sec

Just after halftime the defense was able to interept the ball and run it back for a touchdown. Surprisingly, a fight broke out between players (yes, they are on the same team). I missed most of the fight- I was on the completely opposite side of the field. By the time I got there, players had been pulled away from each other and had cooled out. Thankfully, one dude was done talking smack and he broke out again just as I got within a descent range.

Nikon D3 at 420mm, 800 ISO, f4 at 1/2500 of a sec

I was able to crop it down obviously, and I was really impressed with how well it ran in the paper

Notice that unimportant lineman shot from before?

In the end, we always want a nice clean shot of the quarterback. I was very happy with how this image came out. I was able to find a whole in the field and track Clausen (ND quarterback) throughout the entire play. Somehow, no one crossed into my frame. Normally a referee's ass fills up half of the frame right about when the quarterback releases the ball.

Nikon D3 at 420mm, 720 ISO, f4 at 1/8000 of a sec

Much more images at my SportShooter page

No comments: