Thursday, July 17, 2008

Paris- finding the places that matter

Paraphrased from my journal-
July 10, 7:45 P.M.
Paris- Two days ago was my first day exploring the Paris. In that time I discovered some great hidden treasures. First was a little boulangerie on the small island east of the island housing the Notre Dame on the Siene River. I bought a sandwich there which was fantastic. I instantly knew that boulangeries would be my best friend in Paris.


Luxembourg Garden

Later I found the Luxembourg Garden. This garden is by far my favorite in the city (I have visited several of them now). The Luxembourg Garden has more usable space and less people than the more popular Jardin des Tuileries. Little sail boats fill the pond and small children run around it with sticks, attempting to lead their ships on a course across the pond.

Unexpectedly, there was a series of about 25 large print photos dealing with controversial issues from the past 10-15 years, hung on the exterior of the fence surrounding the garden. Most of the photojournalism on display was fantastic and really grabbed the attention of everyone walking by.


Statue in the Paris Pantheon

Later that day I found a Canadian bookstore in which I bought the entire Lord of the Rings series (in one book). I just finished the Hobbit a few days ago. In the bookstore I met a French-American author who had written a biographical book about a female photojournalist in WW2. She and I exchanged lots of ideas concerning women in photojournalism in the past in contrast to today. Even though she had obviously researched women's role in the history of journalism, she was not aware of the current state of things.


Water bottle fight in our extremely tiny room in Paris.

Today I went to the Louve with Ian and Dwayne. Ian went very early in the morning, getting there just as the doors where opening. Dwayne and I opted for the more sleep option. After the Louve, I attempted to nap in the Jardin des Tuileries but it was too loud and the chairs not comfortable enough. I also attempted to read, but I found myself to sleepy. It is a rough life. So I grabbed a sandwich on the way home and took a long nap in my bed. I think it will be another relaxing night of reading and writing- unless Dwayne and Ian have anything to say about that.

No comments: