Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Up early in Budapest

As transcribed from my journal:

June 18, 5:33 AM local time
I woke up about a half hour ago and have not been able to sleep since. I suspect the sun rose at that point. I am amazed that it rises that early, but I assume it is due to our very Eastern position in the Central European Time Zone.


Walking to our plane in Dublin - click image for larger

Last night we arrived at The Loft Hostel in Budapest and had nearly no problems finding it. The street corner we arose from the Metro on was partially closed down due to construction, but eventually found our way through the beautiful old streets, with very little light.

The Loft Hostel, which will be our home for the next week, resides on the fourth floor (top floor) on what appears to be an apartment building. Our hostel takes up about 1/3 of the floor, featuring very high ceilings (nearly 20 feet high) and large wooden support beams crisscrossing everywhere- staying true to it's name.


Killing time in Dublin Airport - click image for larger


This is a very cool place to stay. Possibly too cool. Ian and I agreed that with all the different languages, posters, colors and murals all around us, this place feels like the set for some teenage coming-of-age Euro-trip movie.

*now it is beginning to rain very hard

Nearly everyone here is very nice. Everyone wants to tell you about their travels and hear about yours. The Loft's host even even cooked the entire hostel dinner last night (not a typical act we are told). He made some sort of Hungarian meat dish mixed with noodles and topped with sour cream and an incredibly good hot sauce.


Navigating the Budapest Metro while half asleep - click image for larger


Our room fits eight beds spaciously. When we arrived, there was two twin top bunks and one full size bottom bed. Ian offered me the full size bunk knowing how I don't fit well in most beds, but I would have been fine either way. Besides us, there are six other tenants in our room (and there are two other rooms of unknown capacity, but I believe both are smaller). Two of the six are Asian men who appear to be my age. Another two of the six is a man/woman couple from the U.S., Atlanta I believe. They leave this morning for Prague. In fact they are the only ones awake with me in the room as they are preparing to leave. Another one of the six is a Canadian guy named Adam from just outside Toronto. He seems to be younger than me, but also sounds like he has done much more traveling than I. Lastly, there is an Australian woman named Louise. I think she is traveling on here own, like Adam, the Canadian.

Ian and Dwayne appear to be sleeping very well. But as always it is impossible for me to fall back asleep after waking up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good Morning Lads,
Hope you're having a great and the jet-lag has vanished! Great to here from you. Talk to soon!