Monday, July 21, 2008

Day Trip to Bruges

I am still kind of behind in the posts but in case you are confused, Ian, Dwayne and I are currently in Dwayne's hometown in Castlebar, Ireland and our trip ends in just a few days. Here is a post that backtracks to when we went on a day trip to Bruges, Belgium while still residing in Brussels.

Brussels- Day four
We took a day trip to Bruges. It is a small, historically beautiful town about an hour train ride north of Brussels, Begium. I knew nearly nothing about Bruges expect for some screen shots I had seen from reviews of a recent movie titled "In Bruges." which wasn't shown much in the States, and I never saw it.




The Beguinage, a convent in Bruges

But Bruges does live up to the hype of being a architectural historic gem. It is an extremely beautiful town. You can easily forget that it is still an actual city in which people actually live. I found myself getting lost in the Disneyland feel, wondering what was going on inside all of these extremely quaint buildings.


The Madonna and Child (1505) by Michelangelo Buonarotti in Our Lady's Church in Bruges.



Bruges is also known for its chocolate. We went to the chocolate museum, which was kind of a waste of time. I think we were expecting a Willy Wonka Factory experience, and instead, received a history lesson on the Aztecs... yawn.

The museum tour did get us into the mood for some chocolate. Dwayne and I were finished after visiting one chocolate boutique, eating about seven to eight pieces of chocolate. In fact, I was even a little stomach sick after that "little" amount. Ian put Dwayne and I to shame. Ian had the drive to try as many different shops as possible until he could eat no more.

After visiting at least four stores, and eating a significant portion of Belgian chocolate, Ian was down for the count. Enough to make me sick the entire day, but just enough to make Ian sleepy.


Ian resting on Dwayne's shoulder, exhausted form chocolate

No comments: