Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hillary comes to South Bend, again


Nikon D2H 70-200mm f2.8 at 200mm, 200 ISO, f4 at 1/3000 of a sec

Yesterday, Sen. Hillary Clinton came to town and spoke at the local minor league ballpark for an open, free rally. I was the sole still shooter, but this time had to transfer images back to the newsroom and Web site multiple times.

The only place to set up my laptop was in the dugout, which of course is eye level with the dirt field. Dust and light were a problem on what was a very windy day. Thankfully, the Clinton Press people provided black sheets to cover ourselves with. Unfortunately, we looked like idiots using them.

Nikon D3, 17-35mm f2.8 at 17mm. 200 ISO, f4 at 1/800 of a sec

Hillary arrived relatively on time. This has never happened before during any political assignment I’ve shot. I know the Secret Service purposefully staggers the time an individual makes an appearance for security purposes, but usually the presidential candidates (and/or endorsers) are 30-45 minutes late to each event I’ve worked.


Nikon D3, 17-35mm f2.8 at 17mm, 200 ISO, f4 at 1/2500 of a sec

The baseball puns were not in short supply. “With your help, I’m gonna hit this primary out of the park!,” or something like that. It was like that the whole beginning of the speech. It got old...quick.


Nikon D3, 17-35mm f2.8 at 35mm, 200 ISO, f4 at 1/2500 of a sec

Every so often I turned to check on the crowd. I didn’t even notice until after I submitted this image that it’s full of only women. I didn’t notice if the total crowd was women-heavy, but apparently the areas closest to the platform was.


Nikon D3, 17-35mm f2.8 at 17mm, 200 ISO, f4 at 1/3200 of a sec

I do not feel like I made any images that drastically differed from the last time I shot Hillary. The only difference was the lighting, because this event was outside. In fact, I think I did a better job last time.

I want to say that I missed my chance to make images of a presidential candidate struggling to grasp the last swing state. I want to say that I missed the concerned supporters who are worried about their candidate’s survival. But those moments didn’t really happen. These events are just an act. There is barely anything real about this event.

Just before Hillary left the field, one photog (working for her campaign) asked Hillary’s head of security if he could tell Hillary to turn and wave one last time before she ducted out. He sarcastically replied, “wouldn’t that ruin the realism of all of this?”

Hopefully I’ll get another chance. I get the sense that those chances are few and far between in the world of political photography.

1 comment:

Roxana said...

great colors- really like the first portrait of her wrinkly face. looks like you made the best of the fakeness