Saturday, June 21, 2008

Budapest Day 3 and 4: budgeting, bands, and bars

Copied from my journal:
6/20 19hr (7 PM)
Budapest- Even though we have only been here for three days, I decided to do some math to figure out what my spending has been. So far, I have spent about $34/day - which is about $4 more than I was planning for food alone. About 40% of daily spending is on items other than food (metro tickets, bike rentals, and bath fees). So I am doing pretty well I think.


Louise, our Aussie roommate

But it seems I have two different exchange rates to work off of. Yahoo.com gave me a market rate of 153 Ft to one US dollar (confirmed with other local sources as well). This has been my day to day conversion running in my head (which is about as easy as explaining the US electoral college system). But when I withdrew 25,000 Ft from the airport ATM the day we arrived in Budapest, Wells Fargo claims that I withdrew the equivalent of $156 which equates to about 160 Ft to the Us Dollar. This lowers my spending to about $32/day. Kick Ass.

Today Ian, Dwayne and I biked through Margaret Island. It is a large Golden Gate Park-like island with fountains, old ruins and very nice views of the city.



Eventually we left the island and made it to the Buda s of the Danube River, where we barely escaped with our lives from the crazy Hungarian drives. Pedestrians and bikers have nearly no rights in this country. Even at cross walks, you have to wait until the 50 km/hr taxis clear out of the street before you even think to look to see if it is clear. Must rent scooter!

Not from journal, but added on the spot-
After our bike ride, we rested at home before heading our to watch our hostel's host (a Hungarian named Ferci) play in his band in a bar around the corner. We had some extra time to kill before the show started, so we got some food and beers (no law against open containers in public) and walked along the river at sunset.





The band and the bar were fantastic. The band has a blues style, in which Ferci plays lead guitar and sings!





When the band was done, we and our hostel mates (about 8 in total) moved on to the Roof Top Bar, which was literally on a rooftop.



Red lights saturated everything within 2 or 3 tables distance. Music was blasting from a DJ who played European mixes of American music I had never heard (i.e. Limp Biscuit on top of Red Hot Chili Peppers).



This bar in the skies seemed much higher than it actually was. Almost all the buildings here are 5-6 stories tall. Because of this, being on the roof, you can see very far because there are no other taller buildings in the way.


walking home


Dwayne dancing in the street

Tonight we are going to a music festival held in the museums throughout the city (an annual free event). Apparently one of them is a tribute to James Brown. All my life I have been waiting for Hungarian James Brown music!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

My response to the first part of this post: nerd.

Sharon C said...

Happy Birthday Ian,
When are the pictures of the birthday day going to be posted? Or are they on the Dicks blog I couldn't access with out approval?
Sorry it took so long to comment you spelled it diefienbach. Trying to slow me down!
Mom