Sunday, May 4, 2008

Obama, Clinton and Cinco De Mayo

Cinco De Mayo celebration in South Bend.

Nikon D3 with 50mm f1.4, 100 ISO, f2 at 1/8000 of a sec


Nikon D3 with 17-35mm at 17mm, 100 ISO, f2.8 at 1/3200 of a sec

Time is running out in Indiana. Come Wednesday, we won't matter any more. Today I had two assignments concerning the presidential nomination. Both Senators Barack and Hillary were in Michiana, but that would be too much for one photog to handle probably. Another staffer was called in (on a Sunday!) to cover Barack who was going door to door in Elkhart, Ind., asking for change. Get a job!

First, I was sent to John Young Middle School where Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano was stumping for Obama. People who came to hear her speak were registering to volunteer for the campaign at the front desk of the school. I thought this was a descent alternative from the typical podium shot.


Nikon D3 with 17-35mm at 17mm, 100 ISO, f2.8 at 1/500 of a sec

I went directly from Napolitano to Hillary who was speaking outside of her South Bend campaign office. I would vote for which ever candidate has more outdoor rallies. Although the Sun made for some harsh shadows, I'd take this over a fluorescent-filled gym any day.


Nikon D3 with 70-200mm at 200mm, 100 ISO, f2.8 at 1/3200 of a sec

This was my third time shooting Hillary. First was at Mishawaka High School and the second was at Coveleski Stadium (Silverhawks Minor League Baseball Team). This was my extra chance that I spoke about last time. A chance I wasn't sure I'd get.


Nikon D3 with 17-35mm at 17mm, 100 ISO, f2.8 at 1/1600 of a sec

This time around, I was desperate to make something new. We were outdoors again, but this place was different. There was a nice background of the city's buildings. And different materials surrounding the Senator like glass and trees. This allowed for some more experimental images. I spent the first half of the speech making sure I got my safe shots.


Nikon D3 with 70-200mm at 70mm, 100 ISO, f4 at 1/800 of a sec

And then I experimented.


Nikon D3 with 70-200mm at 70mm, 100 ISO, f8 at 1/60 of a sec

I am pretty sure this image will never run beyond the Web gallery at www.SouthBendTribune.com. The editors at the Tribune don't ever like to to take risks with images. But you can't let timid editors keep you down. Especially when you are an intern. I have to grow and work hard no matter what I am told.

It is a delicate balance between shooting for yourself vs shooting for the paper. The paper's needs will always trump my own, but I will never let the paper get in my way of enjoying my job. Just because an image won't be seen doesn't mean it shouldn't be made.

1 comment:

Ed said...

I like your philosophy, and I hope you keep taking risks. Some will work, some won't (I like these images... just saying in general). I try to remind myself to do the same with writing. My editors have been, so far, accommodating.