Sunday, May 11, 2008

100 Voice Women's Choir

Last night I covered the 100 Voice Women's Choir at Greater St. John Missionary Baptist Church. The concert was a split Mother’s Day/Breast Cancer Awareness event and featured local singers from all over the Michiana area.

For the most part the assignment was a typical performance. Although, two instances struck me as new and unusual. First, at the end of one of the songs, one of the choir members became overwhelmed with joy and relief. I found out later that the young woman, Crystal, who has Down syndrome, had been practicing that song all week with the help of Jenny, the lady standing directly to her left of Crystal in the image below. Crystal had never completed this particular song without error. But during this performance, she got it right...

"We've been rehearsing all week. Hard work, that's what it's all about."
-Jenny


Nikon D3 with 70-200 f2.8, 3200 ISO, f2.8 at 1/800 of a sec

I wasn’t in the best place for the image, but at least I got something. If I wasn’t leaving in a week, Crystal and Jenny’s relationship may have been a great story to follow.

Each soloist had a palpable conviction in their voice. I wanted to make some images showing the amount of energy each solo performer brought to the table. I placed myself in front of the first row hoping to get in really tight with my 50mm.


Nikon D3 with 50mm f1.4, 1600 ISO, f1.4 at 1/320 of a sec

We shoot performances very often. Most are boring high school musical rehearsals (not Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep Theater Company though!) What makes this performance different? Why should I care any more about this concert than the one they had their two weeks ago? Because of moments like Crystal’s.

No comments: